Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Crispy Rice, Egg, and some Vegetables, what could be better?

I love Korean food. Especially bibimbop. The crispy rice and rich egg yolk are so delightful and comforting, it's like macaroni and cheese but with more flavor.

So I've had a bibimbop recipe from The New York Times hanging on my refrigerator for about six months, just waiting for travel that would allow me to buy the right ingredients. On a recent trip to Atlanta I was able to find the daikon radish, shiitake mushrooms, and a couple other choice ingredients.

Upon returning home I anxiously began cooking. And let me say, though bibimbop seems like a pretty simple collection of rice and vegetables, its preparation (at least this recipe) was more time-consuming than you may realize. Many of the vegetables were julienned. That is a cut with which I am inexperienced, and therefore takes me more time than others. Then each vegetable is cooked separately before being combined.

The Times recipe did not have an egg atop it, but I have always seen it that way, and feel it is requisite to the dish's yumminess, so I added the egg. And the answer to the title question: nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment