Monday, July 26, 2010

Greetings From a Long Lost Baker: Resurfacing

It has been a really long time.  And I have no respectable excuses except to say that moving, starting a new job, acquainting myself with Ann Arbor, and planning a wedding have kept me very busy.

I love fruit tarts, particularly mid summer when the bounty is rich.  This one is inspired by a pistachio grapefruit tart I had in Paris.  It is pistachio pastry cream with fresh plums from the farmer's market.  The plums had great flavor, though texturally they were disappointing.  A little too mushy.  My original idea was to combine the pistachio cream with cherries.  The cherries aren't in season yet in Michigan so plums stood in.   

The pistachio pastry cream was delicious.  Salty yet sweet, a perfect blend of flavors.  The plum combination, satisfactory, though cherries decidedly would be better.  Overall it made for a pleasing summer treat both aesthetically and gastronomically.

No comments:

Post a Comment