Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The All-American Sandwich

I realized recently that since being permanently back in the States I have not had a proper sandwich. Instead of going out and getting one (which would ensure its properness), I instead decided to make it all from scratch. And this was my first mistake. Because as much as I try to cook conventionally, I always end up deviating from the recipe, trying to make it healthier and more unusual; the result is usually good, but never iconic.

And so happened with my All-American sandwich. And where did it fail? On all accounts. First was the fillers. No I didn't chose cheese, or meat, or lettuce, or tomato. The plan was this: white bean puree with roasted red peppers and spinach. Oh and homemade rolls. This was mistake number two.

For some reason I cannot make breads with white flour in them. Not even partly white flour. Despite all my knowledge on the textural and organoleptic impact of whole grain flours I cannot separate myself. And so I set out to make the all-American sandwich roll, with one hand tied behind my back: no white flour.

It was a cool spring day, perfect for opening the windows and letting the fresh air in. Instead I cranked up the kitchen heat to facilitate rising. And rise my rolls did, they turned out beautifully with all the chewiness and depth of flavor of whole wheat, decidedly un-American.

The sandwiches were lovely. Great combination of flavors, healthy, nutritious. Yet my craving left unsatiated... I might have to rely on a professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment