Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Oatmeal as a Capitalist Statement

I love oatmeal. I eat it every morning with various toppings. My new favorite is raisins, pecans, sea salt and plain yogurt. (I am not making yogurt from a dairy down the road from us. The cows are pastured right behind it!)

Anyway, back to the oatmeal, the combination of toppings makes it creamy, rich, savory, and slightly sweet. A perfect way to welcome the day. Today over my oatmeal, I began a tirade on oatmeal as a protest against agribusiness. How cereals are processed with all kinds of things: hydrogenated oils and sugars that we don't need. Then the price is hiked up exorbitantly. Oatmeal, on the other hand is cheap, with no additives thus being more healthy.

I'm not sure that one bowl of oatmeal a day does much to combat our processed food system, but it sure is nice to dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment