Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Birthday Breakfast

It was a special birthday in our house (my fiance's) and so we did many special things together to celebrate. Including his favorite breakfast, which I made for him: blueberry pancakes.

We always use my dad's pancake recipe at home. The recipe uses whole wheat flour and buttermilk, and I've never had a better pancake. I put a little twist by adding locally, stone-ground cornmeal. The buttermilk came from the creamery at the bottom of our mountain, the eggs were local too, and the blueberries were picked by us and frozen for a later use. The resulting golden pancakes perfectly crisp with a warm soft interior were the perfect balance of savory and sweet. And a delicious beginning to a special day.

P.S. It was a delicious food day in general. I also made him Pichet Ong's Chocolate Oatmeal Cupcakes with Maple Bacon Frosting. And we're both speechless. Try them, the recipe is from the New York Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment