Friday, October 2, 2009

The Search for a Good Bagel

Down here in the mountainous south there don't seem to be any bagel shops. And frankly Thomas may know how to make english muffins, but he sure doesn't know how to make a good bagel. So, we took matters into our own hands, and made them.

There was my stint in Costa Rica when I was making bagels every week, but sadly that was years ago now. But I pulled out the old recipe (which had no instructions just ratios, since I used to have it memorized) dusted out the cob webs, and I think these might be the best bagels yet. We made cinnamon raisin, and substituted maple syrup and barrel molasses for the honey in the recipe. The bagels had just the right amount of sweetness, and an added depth of flavor that complemented the raisins and cinnamon well.

Toasted, with some marscapone cheese, they were the perfect start to a fall morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment