Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Soft Pretzels


So work is slow right now, which is really great for me.  I spend a lot of time experimenting.  I was making cookies and the back of the flour bag had a recipe for soft-pretzels.  I decided to try them.

It's really a lot like making bagels.  You make a pretty basic bread dough, wait for it to rise, form the pretzels, give them some more time, boil them in alkaline water (made by adding baking soda, beer, or others), and then bake.  Oh and before the baking you can brush them with butter and add any desired toppings.

I tried a couple of different toppings: salt, sesame seeds, and poppy seeds.  My favorite, thought, was a six pepper blend of spices that we have that I just love.

We enjoyed the pretzels for a couple of days after they came out of the oven, but really they were best when they first came out.  And surprisingly easy to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment