Monday, January 31, 2011

Playing Catch-Up

I used to make desserts according to my recipe and creativity five days a week.  Now I'm using someone else's ideas and recipe at work.  And so I have less material for writing.

Or so I thought.  My new goal is to write more about all food, this will mean more entries, but less on desserts.  And I think that's okay.

My kitchen is still a busy one.  Most recently with glazed salmon.  My father-in-law gave me a subscription to Cook's Illustrated for my birthday.  Talk about a gift that keeps giving.  I love it for their pursuit of perfection and constant experimenting (even if the writing is a little flat).  My glazed salmon is just one example.

The glaze is pomegranate.  I have to say the pomegranate doesn't have a pronounced presence.  The balsamic and mustard add such complexity that it gets slightly lost.  While the name may be a misnomer, as far as glaze goes it was delicious.

For the salmon It was seared and baked to 125 in a 300 degree oven.  It was tender, juicy, and flavorful: i.e. pure deliciousness.  I served it with Israeli couscous with dates and pistachios.  The flavor--accented with ginger, cardamom, and cilantro--was intriguing.  It complimented the fish well.

On the side was a bed of spinach.  Because I can't have a meal without vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment