Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Ooops

There is a wonderful creamery not far from us in Otto, North Carolina,
called Spring Ridge Creamery. It is the best milk I have ever had. Probably because the cows are pastured directly behind. So we always buy our milk there. And I always make yogurt from it. This past week for some reason my yogurt just didn't thicken.

So we decided to try making it a second time, starting the entire process over. We put the "yogurt" back in a saucepan to heat it. When heated the whey separated out, and there was soft cheese. Now I'm no cheese maker, but I've seen a lot of cheese being made, and I can only assume that there must've been enough acid from the yogurt to cause such a separation. That's just a guess, does anyone have an answer?

So I strained our cheese through cheese cloth, salted it, and put it in the refrigerator. The next day we added it to our pasta with basil from our CSA, garlic, and olive oil. It was wonderful, with a flavor similar to ricotta salata--delicate, fresh, slightly floral, and (of course) salty. I think I may need to start trying to make cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment