Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Ginger Snaps to Beat all Ginger Snaps

I'm on a bit of a cookie kick lately.

My future sister-in-law love Trader Joe's ginger snaps.  What makes their ginger snaps unique is the three different types of ginger in each cookie: powdered, fresh, and candied.  I decided to give it a try.

First I candied my own ginger.  Following Alice Waters' recipe for ginger snaps in The Art of Simple Food, I added minced fresh ginger and diced candied ginger in addition to the powdered ginger already in the recipe.  I then rolled the dough into long cylinders, and put them in the refrigerator, like you would for sablés.  After about two hours I rolled the cylinders in the sugar that dripped off the candied ginger during cooling.  That's ginger four ways.


I have to say I think I have Trader Joe's beat here.  These cookies are delightfully gingery, not too sweet, with just the right amount of spice.  Definite winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment