Monday, April 19, 2010

Giving Cream Cheese Icing a Run for its Money

Carrot cake is such a classic.  My favorite carrot cake recipe, from the Silver Palate, uses pureed carrots which are first boiled.  I am convinced the cooking concentrates the sweet carrot flavor because it consistently delivers a cake far superior to those with fresh shredded carrots.

I have found this to be a perfect method for using left-over carrots, puree them and make carrot cake.  Lately I have started using brown butter instead of vegetable oil.  The resulting cake is so tender with deep, rich flavor. 

This last time I topped it off with a brown butter icing: brown butter, sea salt, vanilla, and confectioner's sugar.  Dare I say it's better than cream cheese?  I haven't decided yet.  But it definitely complements the cake well.  The salt brings out the nuttiness of the brown butter, and tames the sweetness.

I believe another taste is in order before deciding it beats cream cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment